Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Homemade Granola


Ok, so I mentioned in an earlier blog that whole grains help to get your brain going. I suggested oatmeal for breakfast, but I dont really like oatmeal. Here's another alternative: granola. You can buy it, of course, at the store, but where's the fun in that? Impress your friends with this yummy and versatile recipe.

Ingredients:
4 cups rolled oats
2-3 cups chopped nuts ( I use almonds, peanuts, and soy nuts)
1/2 cup syrup (I use light)
1/2 cup honey (I try to use local when I have it)
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt
1/2 cup oil


First, preheat oven to 350. Then pour syrup and honey in pan and heat on low until it has thinned out.

Pour all 4 cups of oats into large bowl.

Add your shredded nuts,( I put mine in a food processor.) vanilla, oil, and salt to the oats. I usually use salted nuts and almonds and forgo adding salt. Mix well, then add the thinned syrup/honey mixture. Again, mix well. :)

It should be wet, but not soupy. I cover a cookie sheet with foil, for easy clean up, and put a VERY thin layer of granola. The thinner the layer, the crunchier the granola...I like it CRUNCHY!

Bake for 25-30 minutes. It should be a dark golden brown. Take foil, with granola on top, off cookie sheet. Place aside to cool. Recover cookie sheet with foil, and add another layer of granola. You should be able to get two layers if you are making it thin enough. Bake second layer. Wait until completely cooled, then break pieces off of foil. I like mine in big chunks, but you can also crumble it it you'd like.

This is half of a batch.

The beauty of this recipe is that you can add or change it as much as you want. I have added chocolate chips, flax seed, and sun-dried cranberries before. I usually just use whatever I have on hand or remember to buy when shopping. You can't go wrong. It's pretty addictive, so watch out. A little is good, but a lot...kind of fattening! When I am working, I use a snack zip lock baggie, and fill it. It's a great mid-morning snack. In fact, my students always ask me to bring it for them. Now that I think about it, I remember my fourth grade teacher telling me that peanuts were brain food. You'll be getting a double dose of brain stimulation with this recipe!

Hope you all enjoy...

2 comments:

Jules said...

I've always meant to ask you for this recipe. I like to add cranberries:)

Unknown said...

Wow, looks so easy. You think I could do it without messing it up?;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...