Sunday, July 11, 2010

Squash and Zucchini Goat Cheese Tart

First of all, I must say that I really, really dig Disney's Family Fun magazine. I don't know why I haven't subscribed to it, because it's full of super cool ideas. Thus, squash and zucchini goat cheese tart.
I was getting my hair did the other day, and like usual...I ended up under the dryer with July's edition of Family Fun. I ran across a Summer Veggie and Pesto Tart recipe and thought, " That looks mighty tasty." I filed it away in my mind under "Recipes to try ASAP." I wanted to make it last week for my parents, but wouldn't you know...my step-dad doesn't like squash OR zucchini. Personally, I think that's just WRONG, but...you know...what ev. :) (Just kidding, Ken!) Last night ended up being the first, BUT NOT THE LAST, time I made this delectable yum yum.

You can follow the link above and go with the original recipe, orrrrrrrrr you can follow my own "use what ya got" version. They are pretty similar. Your call. Here's mine...


Ingredients:
pie crust
1 egg
2 small squash
2 small zucchini
4 oz goat cheese (mine was an herb mix)
1/2 to 1 can diced tomatoes ( I would have used cherry tomatoes, but we used the last of them on our pizza the previous night.)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 tbsp basil pesto
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Instructions:
1. Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a nonstick silicone baking sheet. Place the piecrust on the prepared baking sheet. Fold and pinch a 1/2-inch rim around the edges of the dough, then set it aside.
2.Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and squash, season with salt and pepper. Cook the vegetables until they're lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer them to a bowl to cool, then toss them with the pesto.
3.In a small bowl, whisk together the goat cheese and the egg until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

4.Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the egg and cheese mixture over the pie crust. Spread the cooked vegetables on top, then evenly scatter the tomatoes and Parmesan over the vegetables. Bake the tart until the crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let it cool slightly on a wire rack.
ENJOY!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...